Fast moving fire in Lapwai home leaves family homeless

Fast moving fire in Lapwai home leaves family homeless »Play Video
Lapwai City Fire Dept. and Nez Perce County Fire responded to the blaze.
LAPWAI, ID - A family is without a home Thursday night as a fast moving fire tore through a residence in Lapwai.

Lapwai City Fire Department and Nez Perce County Fire responded to the blaze shortly after 9 a.m. Tribal Police Chief, Dave Rogers saw the smoke when he was driving to work, called it in, and was first on scene. Rogers said that the fire traveled through the home at a rapid rate.

"When I got there the garage was completely inflames, the interior of the house was already full of smoke and there was smoke coming out of every vent in the roof and out of the eaves," said Rogers. "It looked like it had been smoldering perhaps for a bit and then just erupted in flames."

Only a family pet was inside the house when the fire broke out. That dog was rescued and is safe. The town of Lapwai is coming together to help the family out. If you'd like to donate anything, you can bring it by the Nez Perce Tribe Social Services Building in Lapwai. The address is 149 Lo-Lo Street.