State fire marshals called in to investigate Wingers fire in Moscow

State fire marshals called in to investigate Wingers fire in Moscow
MOSCOW – An Idaho state fire marshal was called in Monday to investigate a fire at a popular Moscow restaurant.

The fire broke out early Sunday morning in Wingers at the Palouse Mall.

"We arrived around 5:30 a.m. and smoke was coming out around the eves of the structure," said Moscow Fire Department Fire Marshal and Division Chief Joe Williams.

Williams was at the scene Monday with other investigators. He said firefighters arrived soon enough Sunday to keep more seriously damage from taking place.

"We got here and got the fire put out without complete loss of the interior of the structure," said Williams. "So there is substantial damage, but the whole building is not damaged."

Williams said the nature of the fire led to bringing in a deputy state fire marshal.

"It's a large loss and we normally would have those people come in and look at it, along with our own investigations team," said Williams.

Late Monday afternoon, Williams said the preliminary investigation was complete and that investigators were reasonably sure the fire was accidental. He said it appears to have started in the kitchen area, probably above a cooking hood. But the structure was too damaged to allow them to get up above the hoods to check.

An insurance investigator was scheduled to fly into Moscow Tuesday to continue the investigation.

Meanwhile the building remained closed on order of the Moscow Building Department